Thursday, January 10, 2008

Of Kitchen Tables and Blacksmithing

Well, I suppose I could consider my first post a success. If you count the number of people that commented. Thank you all for your support (you like me, you really like me!). I actually think I might like this blogging thing. Especially if it opens up dialogues. I love dialogues. I don't have many since most of the people I work with aren't really into ontological universals or the nature of reality. I enjoy kitchen table philosophy and I like "iron sharpening iron". Kitchen table philosophy may be defined as non-professional philosophers sitting and discussing ideas or beliefs that could lead to illogical or irrational conclusions. Or it may be defined as a bunch of self centered egomaniacs justifying their actions by what they "feel" is right or wrong, valid or invalid.

Iron sharpening iron is a violent act. I mean think about it. When a blacksmith makes a sword, he doesn't cuddle up next to this unformed shard of metal and gently strokes it with his hand saying,"You sweet unformed sword. You're just so cute and lovely. I know you're dull and rough around the edges, but you're really shiny and sharp as a razor. I'll just try and give you all the warm fuzzy feelings I can." NO! He takes it, puts it in a fire until it's red hot and then smacks the crap out of it with a big metal mallet! Then he puts it up to a rock wheel that goes around really fast and files away the edges until it's sharp enough to cut a man's head off!

The cool thing is that the piece of metal can take it! It doesn't whine that it's feelings are hurt or that the blacksmith is being insensitive. It takes what coming from the smithy so that it can be formed and used for the purpose it's being created for.

My point is that we should sit around the kitchen table and talk about God and the beliefs we hold dear about our theology and smack each other around with what Scripture actually says. I love it and I think it's the most loving thing we can do for each other. We don't have to do it in such a way that we walk away crying and hating the other person for it, we can be excited and rejoice that we have the opportunity to aid each other in this fashion. There are plenty of people out there that will give you all the soft fuzzies you want, they'll also send you straight to hell by watering down the Gospel or hinder your walk by not giving a clear and distinct view of God.

I learned this lesson by a former roommate of mine. Man, he pissed me off more times that I can possibly count. But, because he did, I gained a stronger view of this faith God had given me.

So, let's do just that. Let's not agree just for the sake of a false peace with each other. Heck, let's not even agree to disagree. Let's get down to the bare knuckles of our faith and strengthen each other for the sake of encouragement so that Christ may be exalted and God glorified in our lives.

'Nuff said.

P.S. I really think I'm going to like this blogging thing!

8 comments:

Stacy said...

It's like the song from Annie..."I think I'm gonna like it here."

Oh, sorry...
I like those thoughts and I really like the title of this post.
It's gonna be fun seeing inside your head!!!
I love you my kitchen table blacksmith :)

Missy said...

Oops...Stacy didn't make that comment, I did...didn't realize I was on his account.
He's not the one that goes around singing Annie songs, I am!

Kim said...

I think women (especially in blogland) stay away from talks about theology because of peace! It'll be interesting to read your blog. And see what happens...

Pollyanna said...

Stacy said,
"There are plenty of people out there that will give you all the soft fuzzies you want".

Certainly you are NOT referring to me.

Stacy said...

Polly,

Of course I'm not referring to you. You know the need for confrontation of sin in a believer's life. And the need to challenge believers in their theological structure. You've certainly done both in my life. And rightly so. What I'm talking about is people who are so dogmatic in their own beliefs that they get irritated or even angry when they have a discussion with someone opposed to said beliefs. You and I both know a group of people like that. The warm fuzzy people are the ones like Osteen and his ilk that only tickle the ears so as "not to offend". They believe that is their calling as an exhorter. People who can't dialogue with people of opposing views without getting mad are (I believe) first of all insecure about their views, secondly, they they are extremely self-centered (that is why they get mad), and thirdly, they don't want to go any farther with their knowledge of their faith. That is how iron sharpens iron, two opposing forces clashing.

I love you dearly, you know that.

Calvinistically yours,
SIL

Jeri Tanner said...

Great article Stacy...I love it! Truth and love are the two sides of the same coin...neither one is the real deal without the other.

Doctrine has so many more implications than most Christians in our day realize...very practical ones that hugely affect how we live our lives. The way you put it, as smacking each other around with what Scripture really says, is just right...if we don't know what it really says we suffer for it in various ways.

So let's struggle with it and get mad about it and bang our heads against the kitchen table but in the end, let's go to the Bible and swallow our pride to see if it isn't so. (And ask the Lord to show us...only He can open our eyes to His word!)

Abbey said...

"Stacy say what?"
Your blog hurts my brain. Aren't you ever going to talk about poop or farts?

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

hi stacy. i'm a friend of missy's and kim hill's.

i love, and look forward to, iron sharpening iron. it really helps me to grow. i have to be "smacked around" occasionally, or i get arrogant and complacent in my faith.

you've got an interesting mind, and i'm going to enjoy seeing the inside of it.