Monday, December 8, 2008

OK. I Saw it, now what?

Yesterday, me and my wonderful wife went out on a date. I know. Yeah, it actually happened. Since our last date was in August, it's a little surreal to me as well. But we had a nice time. The highlight for me was just being with her and no kids. All the married couples with chillins can understand what I'm saying.

The highlight for my wife was that she got to share with me something very close and dear to her heart. Something that in recent days she has grown very interested in and veerrry fond of. (I know I ended a sentence with a preposition, get over it.) So what do you ask could be so near and dear to a woman in her mid-30's heart?

The tween phenomenon, Twilight! Yes, folks that's right, Twilight. You have to understand something. My wife doesn't go to the movies. She just doesn't. Oh, she'll go occasionally and we do rent movies from time to time, but as a general rule, theaters are just not really her thing. It's my thing. I love movies and I love going to the theater by myself. It's my escape. I don't go that often, because it has to be a certain movie that I'm going to pay $9 for. (I know, another preposition) But she just doesn't get excited about that many flicks. Except for Twilight.

Now, dear reader, you may be saying, "Stacy, what's the big deal? So you guys went to see Twilight." You'd be right to underestimate the importance of me taking the time to blog about this, IF it was the first time we'd both seen it and it was just a casual, "Hey, let's go see that new show Twilight everyone's been talking about." And that's the way it was for me. But for my wife, this was the 4th time. That's right folks, the 4th time! I mean, she thinks I'm obsessive for me to watch some of my dvd's over and over. But 4 times? And it's about vampires! Vampires I say! She doesn't like vampires! She won't even watch Blade with me. Or Interview with a Vampire. And folks, I mean these are pretty wimpy kind of Vampires if you ask me. All they do is whine about their existence. "Ohhh, I'm immortal and I've been 17 for 100 plus years. Boo Hoo. I like Bella but I don't want her to get hurt. Waaaaa." Get over dude. You can kick the crap outta any body that messes with you and you're rich. Stop your dang whining!

Sorry, didn't mean to get off on a rant there. I'm sure I've just made some people mad and I'm sorry. I did like the movie. But it was just average at best. I just want someone to explain the pull this has had over my very sane and mature wife. And it's not just her. Her friends are all into this thing as well. And let me tell you all something, these are about the coolest ladies I've ever met. I mean, I think a LOT about Missy's friends. Their level headed and wise women and they are actually fun to be around. Missy can be herself around them and not feel like she'll offend anyone, because they just accept people as they are. I really find it hard to believe there are Christain women out there like that. Ahh, to be Presbyterian! At any rate, they are sucked up into this thing as well.

Now I know it sounds like I'm complaining. I'm not. I actually think it's cute to see her get into a story like this. I guess it boils down to fear. I'm actually scarred I'm gonna come home one night and she'll have a pair of wax fangs and some body glitter laying on the night stand. If you've seen the movie, you know what I'm saying.

5 comments:

Missy said...

Of course I read this while listening to the soundtrack...so because of that I MAY be able to look over your obnoxious statements that Edwards is whining.
Don't forget about the Volturi dear...they are real and I could send them after you.

Thanks for going with me, it was great having a date night with you!

Crissy said...

Oh my. Missy has some returns to make at Party City I think...

Jeanny said...

I smiled and laughed the whole time I read it. :)

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Marsha said...

It's a bunch of nearly middle aged women trying to recapture their youth - one last hoorah before they trade their wanna be fangs for all too real dentures.

Anonymous said...

If the payoff in the end for you adds up to something you like then why not go with the fake fangs and body glitter. I'm just sayin'...

BTW...those were my husbands words not mine. But I do agree.

And yes, Missy's friends are the coolest. You are wise for noticing.